Friday, September 17, 2010

poem from a "wordle"

Big Tent Poetry


the funeral home looked like gone with the wind

the last niece arrived late for the viewing.
she skirted the swarm of ghouls milling
at the door. camouflaged in dusty dull
black carapaces, the females mimed at
humanity with tears and scraps of laces.
once past the canopy, an unctuous guide
in graphite chanted her through hushed
doors and past the crush of zombies,
messily strewing the dead man's wake
with the remains of his backbone and
his embellished balls. The debris of a
half-eaten child in miniature mourning
answered to the fates of the bereaved.
her uncle was already on the loading
dock, fortunate.



(when I copied the words, half-eaten and child ended up together.  I could not resist)

17 comments:

Julie Jordan Scott said...

How fantabulously morbid and you used such a remarkable conglomeration of words!

LOVE IT!

Read my Big Tent Poem here.

pwf said...

Thank you Julie.

Looking at it again, I think it should be formatted as prose. Don't you think?
Or written with better flow.

Mary said...

I was never one to like horror shows, always covered my head with a blanket. This IS morbid.

pwf said...

Shock!
You read that as literal?
Please say you are ribbing me.

Anonymous said...

like your comment at big tent! one is helpless when "half-eaten" and "child" get paired up like that! :)

Anonymous said...

well, I have to say "half-eaten child" quite fits in with the rest of the poem - a tongue-in-cheek write, I'd like to think? well done, anyway, wordle-wise...

Wayne Pitchko said...

i really like where you went with this.....nicely done and thanks for sharing

Tumblewords: said...

Wild use of wordle. Fascinating. I'll come back and read it periodically, just because.

Anonymous said...

"already on the loading/dock, fortunate." Yesssssss.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the sounds of lines like: "the females mimed at/humanity with tears and scraps of laces." and
"an unctuous guide/in graphite chanted her through hushed/doors".
Macabre and funny!

pwf said...

Thank you, carolee. I enjoyed the prompt

Yes, gospelwriter, tongue (and only my own, at that) in cheek.

I appreciate all of your comments.

Anonymous said...

in the crush of exaggerated mourning there are always circus characters dying to be heard... gone with the wind yep... i can totally see that scene... especially so .."..the unctuous guide in granite.."... dorothy calling

pwf said...

Hello, Pie lady.

Deb said...

So glad you didn't resist! I loved this gruesome romp, starting with the glorious title!

gautami tripathy said...

Shall I say beautifully morbid? It works for me!

timeless flies search for fries

And do get aboard the Poetry Train every Monday
mornings and thereafter!

Briarcat said...

I see too much time spent with Quirk Classics.

pwf said...

For some reason, even single-story funeral homes have columns. Almost like the striped pole for barbers.